Do you cloth diaper…or did you? How do you work through a decision-making process?
We currently have 21 cloth diapers, one of which is used solely as a swim diaper, and two which are used solely for overnight diapers. We’ve pondered adding more to our stash with the upcoming arrival of E. We’ve asked many questions of ourselves and each other in order to help us best understand our needs versus wants and if increasing the stash is best at this time.
Our question-me or reflect-on-me thoughts were…
- For how long will S still be in diapers?
- Will E’s arrival encourage S to potty train or will S regress?
- When will we start cloth diapering E? (We waited til S was about 2.5 months aka 10 pounds.)
- How often do we wash our diapers now?
- How do we feel about washing our diapers at the interval that we wash them?
- If we increased our frequency of washing the diapers, how would it affect our lives and ability to live as we do?
- Will we solely cloth diaper? When will we use disposable diapers? How will that impact the overall amount of cloth diapers we use?
- What are the current prices of cloth diapers? Will there be upcoming sales?
Ultimately we’ve decided to hold off on increasing our cloth diaper stash based on the unknowns of the first three questions. Given that E will be in disposable until she hits 10 pounds, we’ll still only have one daughter in cloth diapers.
We have no idea what S will do, how fast she’ll potty train, etc. It seems silly to invest in more, right now, when our system is just fine.
We’re also okay with our frequency of washing the diapers. However, if having three or six more would make our life exponentially better in some regard, we’ll consider purchasing more.
What topics receive in-depth thought or reflection from you before making a decision? Do you discuss everything with your partner/husband/spouse or only certain matters? What’s your cloth diaper stash like? Any favorites? Any increases? Any “I wish I would haves?”